Author Topic: Season 3 Event 6  (Read 171 times)

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
Season 3 Event 6
« on: October 17, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »
Near the town of Varos, there exists an ancient relic from the past. It is a massive structure, mostly underground, etched with arcane runes of warding, death, and chaos. It is known to many as The Mausoleum, for the only part of the structure visible from above ground resembles a rather large family crypt.

Since the return of the adventurers to the Terran Valley, a guard has been posted at the doors of The Mausoleum. This guardian is not one of the Varos Legion, nor is she one of the King's Golden Dragoons, this Knight is from The Mausoleum itself. Her armor is blackened and torn, rent in battles long forgotten. Her tabard is too faded and worn to determine her lineage. Her blade is jagged and massive, black blood clings like tar and seems to ooze from the dark metal itself. She stands in silent vigil in front of the warded doors of The Mausoleum.

As the hour passes Midnight, a golden glow surrounds both the Knight and The Mausoleum. The glow fades into tiny specs of magic that slowly dissipate into the brisk night air.

Since the new Master claimed the throne, a guard has been posted at the doors of The Mausoleum. This guardian is not one of the Hartsbury Vanguard, nor is he one of the King's Black Talons, this Knight is from The Mausoleum itself. His armor is blackened and torn, rent in battles long forgotten. His tabard is too faded and worn to determine his lineage. His shield is coated in the old blood of fallen foes, black tendrils cling like tar oozing from the dark metal itself. He stands in silent vigil barring access to the warded doors of The Mausoleum.

The sealed doors of The Mausoleum break ajar and open slowly, allowing the twisted form of the Master of The Mausoleum to pass. The Master's body is wrapped in tightly bound rags, yellow and green stains of putrescence betray the rotting flesh underneath. A black death shroud covers most of the bony protrusions from the shoulders and the ribs. The Master moves to stand next to the vigilant Knight, the chill air of death and fear that surrounds the Master at all times does not affect the Death Knight. The Knight barely seems to acknowledge the Arch Lich at all.

The Master raises his head, putrefying flesh and all, at the sound of a horse approaching from the night darkened road. The rider and steed are quite dead; large wounds in their sides allow various organs to hang limply and jostle about as the horse gallops towards The Mausoleum. As the rider approaches closer to the Master, she brings her steed to a stop and salutes both the guardian and the Master. The Arch Lich waves to the undead rider and bids her closer so that she can clearly hear his instructions.

"Inform D'Tangier that I have secured The Mausoleum as planned. We will meet where The Green was slain to discuss how we should react to the revolt started by Selesthiel. I will need D'Tangier to convince the Siol Lear to accept my assistance in their war. The Siol Lear will not stand my presence for long I'm afraid. It is important that we meet to discuss more pressing matters as well." The Master calls out to the undead rider. "Tell him that I have finished the ritual, the adventurers have been empowered as well as I can manage."

The rider nods her head and replies "Yes, Master Talmoc." She then pulls hard on the old leather reins. The horse bellows a gurgled neigh and turns abruptly to speed off into the darkness of the night road.

The Master turns to the guardian and regards him with a single glowing green eye. "No visitors for now, I have to sort out their spirit bottles." The Master chuckles with a grating laugh and chokes a bit on the harshness of the sound. He was still not sure that the sacrifice was worth it.

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Season 3 Event 6
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
Along the Southern edge of the Terran Valley lies the ancient Southwood Forest. For nearly three decades, the Southwood has suffered under a vile curse that has rendered the once lush and beautiful forest into a dark and deadly home of monstrous beasts.

The Southwood knows all too well the feeling of pain and blood flowing within its borders. The old legends tell the tale of the first destruction of the magical forest during the era known as The Spirit Wars. It was not until the Green Coven arrived in the Terran Valley to cleanse and nurture the remains of the forest that the Southwood recovered. Even then, a dark secret remained within the forest, evil does not release its grip easily.

Then suddenly, the Dark Ones returned to the Terran Valley. Like a great plague, the corrupted people from the Terran Valley's past flooded the valley and once again set upon the Southwood. Within days the Green Coven were forced to flee the ancient forest for the safety of their Western homeland, the Thistlewood.

The evil secreted within the Southwood was awakened and released by the Dark Ones. The curse that had been thought to be broken flourished once again over the forest, it mutated the flora and fauna into murderous forms. The monstrously cursed forms now mock the previous beauty and purity that the Green Coven worked so long and hard to achieve.

Along with the mutation of the forest, creatures of violence and rage have returned to the Southwood. The part man and part animal hybrids known as The Children of the Moon, Therianthropes, or Were-creatures once again stalk the dark trails and twisted groves of the Southwood. It has been centuries since sightings of such creatures have been attributed to the forest. Wild and mad, the Therianthropes have been part of the old tales from before the Green Coven came to the Southwood. What have the Dark Ones done in order to pull the feral from the nightmare? Will the Green Coven return to fight for the Southwood, and if they do, who will join them?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:04:27 PM by derekjones »