Author Topic: Workshops  (Read 1506 times)

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
Workshops
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:05:05 AM »
This is the draft of the workshop rules that we will be using. I am posting it here for player comment on its clarity.

This system is in effect currently.

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Workshops
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:06:14 AM »
Workshops
Workshops are in game locations built for the purpose of producing game items referred to as Production Items. At the beginning of the Elimar campaign there are no workshops available in Ilyra. In order to build a workshop, you must gather base resources and have the workshops built in-game from builders.

Resources
There are three basic resources used for building workshops: Stone, Wood, and Leather. You will need each of these in order to build your workshop. Each workshop type has a requirement for each resource needed in order to build the workshop.

Blacksmith (Weapons and Armor):
150 Stone
100 Wood
50 Leather

Herbal Farm (Alchemy):
125 Wood
125 Stone
50 Leather

Apothecary Shop (Potions):
150 Wood
100 Stone
50 Leather

Scribner Shop (Scrolls):
150 Wood
100 Stone
50 Leather

Tinkering Shop (Traps):
150 Wood
100 Leather
50 Stone

Workshop Size
Workshops come in different sizes and are able to support different amounts of work being done in the shop. Upgrading a workshop requires an additional amount of resources invested equal to the initial construction cost of the workshop.

Level 1:
This is the basic workshop. Level 1 workshops are small and only able to support up to 20 levels of workshop production per day. The amount of total resources needed in order to maintain and build a level 1 workshop is the base resource cost.

Level 2:
This is an advanced workshop able to support many workers and will actually produce it's own products independent of the adventurers that use it. A level 2 workshop will support up to 60 levels of workshop production per day, and produce an additional 10 levels of production per day that the owner can assign whether or not all of the 60 levels are used. The amount of total resources needed in order to maintain and build a level 2 workshop is double the base resource cost.

Level 3:
This is a large facility that is able to support even more workers, produce more of it's own products, and is able to research new recipes for production! A level 3 workshop will support up to 100 levels of workshop production per day, is able to produce an additional 20 levels of production per day that the owner can assign whether or not all of the 100 levels are used, and can analyze a rare ingredient for a chance at discovering a new recipe. The amount of total resources needed in order to maintain and build a level 3 workshop is triple the base resource cost.

Rare Recipes
Level 3 workshops can analyze a single rare ingredient each day in an attempt to develop a special recipe of an item that can then be made at that workshop. The chance for learning a special recipe is 10%, but once the workshop has learned how to make the item, it can make the item without the rare ingredient. Each rare recipe is assigned by plot according to the type of workshop. Rare items made by workshops will require no additional ingredients, but will cost an assigned amount of production level in order to make. Only level 3 workshops can produce rare items. Rare recipes cannot be traded or taught by PC means.

Degrading
Workshops need supplies and upkeep in order to maintain their quality of production. Over time, workshop owners must invest in their workshop in order to maintain them.

For each 28 days that a workshop exists, it requires an investment of basic resources and in game coin. If the workshop is not maintained, it will lose 5 of each resource for each level of the workshop that month.

The total amount of resources invested in a workshop is tracked by logistics. Should the invested amount of resources fall below the total amount needed to maintain the level of the workshop, the workshop will degrade to the next lowest level. A level 1 workshop that fails to be maintained can fall into ruin and become useless! Rare recipes learned by a workshop are not lost if the workshop degrades, unless the workshop degrades into uselessness.

Maintaining the level of the workshop is 5 of each basic resource and 10 gold for every level of the workshop every 28 days.

Investing
You may invest more resources into a workshop in order to build towards the next workshop level. This option does not exist for level 3 workshops. You may not bank more resources into a workshop than it costs to build the level 3 workshop. This means that level 3 workshops must be maintained every 28 days or be reverted into a level 2 workshop.

Maison D'âmes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:03 AM »
Well then.  Never mind. 

For clarity, to get a level three workshop you invest 750 some resources, and if you don't maintain it every 28 days you have to invest 250 more to replace it?

How are these maintained if there isn't an event every 28 days.  How do you maintain it from afar, some sort of bank account of items if you can't "store" it in a Level 3?

Mostly it's plenty clear that I'm never building one.

Ed Enzenbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:26:04 AM »
I need to get cracking on this Stone. How are these found or purchased? In game i take it but are there specific rules for it or is it to be handled in game?

Regards,

Ed E

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »
Good questions. Exactly why I posted it.

For clarity, to get a level three workshop you invest 750 some resources, and if you don't maintain it every 28 days you have to invest 250 more to replace it?

No, you only lose 5 of each resource for every upkeep period that you miss. Once your shop no longer has the invested resource to qualify as a level, it is downgraded.

So if you have a level 3 shop and miss one upgrade, you now have a level 2 shop. But you only have to pay the current upkeep and the back upkeep, so 10 stone, 10 wood, 10 leather in order to make the shop a level 3 again.

How are these maintained if there isn't an event every 28 days.  How do you maintain it from afar, some sort of bank account of items if you can't "store" it in a Level 3?

Upkeep is required every 28 days even if there is no event. It is much easier to get by with a level 1 and 2 workshop than a level 3, you are correct. Level 3 workshops are top tier and are intended to take some effort and commitment to maintain. There are ways in game to solve the level 3 upkeep issue.

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »
Ed,

There are treasure tags in game that are for the basic resources like stone. There are ways to get them in game, just gotta go looking.

Players can trade the tags and can sell the tags to the trading post for coin or goods.

Maison D'âmes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 11:34:35 AM »
Genuinely this just makes me feel like I shouldn't even bother.

As someone with two crafting skills, there's no way I can fund two workshops, and as a grandmaster I can't exactly share a level 1, I need it all myself.

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:43:48 AM »
It's definitely not the usual "here's 25 gold, give me my unlimited workshop"!

MordicaiMetabrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
Most interesting. Few questions though:

You say that a Lv 2 workshop will produce its own goods independent of the adventures.
Does this mean there will be salesmen in the tavern, or are we shipping the goods else where?
And who is getting the profits? The adventures? The owner? The Houses?
Can the profits be used to buy materials for the upkeep?
For Lv 3 workshops are the "Rare recipes" exclusive to the individual workshop?
Will the items made with "Rare recipes" be able to travel or will they be a Chronicles exclusive?

As a new player who has invested heavily into a crafting skill I am absolutely giddy about the possibilities this will present.

Maison D'âmes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
Derek, you're right, it's not.  But funny enough that isn't how any of my workshop purchases have gone.  Ever. 

There's nothing appealing about it to me as a Grandmaster Alchemist and small smith.  It's too much "estate" nero, and far far too expensive.

10g per month for a workshop, not even counting the resources?  No thanks.  It isn't worth it, even with 20 levels and 30g wouldn't be worth it for a Level 3 even if I had 100 levels of Alchemy. 

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
You say that a Lv 2 workshop will produce its own goods independent of the adventures.
Does this mean there will be salesmen in the tavern, or are we shipping the goods else where?
And who is getting the profits? The adventures? The owner? The Houses?
Can the profits be used to buy materials for the upkeep?

The additional production granted by the level 2 and 3 shops are additional production levels that are used to make more production items. If I own a level 2 shop I get 10 workshop levels to make whatever items that the workshop can produce. The owner of the shop determines what is made.

Does that clarify?

For Lv 3 workshops are the "Rare recipes" exclusive to the individual workshop?
Will the items made with "Rare recipes" be able to travel or will they be a Chronicles exclusive?

1) Yes the rare recipes are exclusive to the shop that researches them. Plot reserves the right to run plot lines that can alter this.

2) Every attempt will be made to ensure that the rare items will be unrestricted. This is highly dependent on what the item is and how it works.

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 12:01:36 PM »
Derek, you're right, it's not.  But funny enough that isn't how any of my workshop purchases have gone.  Ever.

There's nothing appealing about it to me as a Grandmaster Alchemist and small smith.  It's too much "estate" nero, and far far too expensive.

10g per month for a workshop, not even counting the resources?  No thanks.  It isn't worth it, even with 20 levels and 30g wouldn't be worth it for a Level 3 even if I had 100 levels of Alchemy.

Perhaps you can find in game methods of making it less expensive?

PS: Sometimes responses like this sound snarky. No snark was intended. The design challenges players to find ways in game to deal with certain issues built into the system. Plot plays a large role in how we will be doing workshops, and quite a few other things.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:11:53 PM by derekjones »

MordicaiMetabrow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »
Something tells me that being part of a House is going to help a lot with maintenance and construction costs.

Maison D'âmes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »
If I own a shop here, do I own property in the land sense?  Does it go on my sheet as an estate?

Toptechie4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »
I know it was mentioned that even if there is not an event every 28 days a workshop can be degraded but I was wondering does that include the winter months (December to Marchish) where there is a couple month break?