Author Topic: Weapon Construction  (Read 1626 times)

LanceBradbury

• View Profile
Weapon Construction
« on: August 26, 2015, 10:16:05 PM »
Ok, so I went away for 10 years and you all changed the way you make weapons.  I'm gonna need some catch-up.

I've been looking at latex weapons but they're expensive so probably not going that route right away. But, since I'm looking, are there any companies, styles or rules regarding latex weaponry that I should keep in mind?  Anything strictly forbidden or considered unsafe by Nero or your chapter specifically?

The big question, what are you using for a core now? Can someone provide me with a link to the product? Still using pipe foam insulation on them? Any special tricks or tips you can give to ensure safe construction, making the handle thicker, etc?  I've made a lot of weapons with PVC, Aluminum and Fiberglass Tubing but I got the impression that they're made with much thinner cores now.

Thirdly, has anyone tried Plasti-Dip or sculpting their own non-tubular weapon?

Spank

• View Profile
Re: Weapon Construction
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:16:18 PM »
Marcus Haney has made a plastidip weapon and I can add you to a facebook group that has a lot of great information on it as well as a couple of great tutorials.

I prefer ultra light weapons using kite tape. The weapons are about 20 dollars a piece to make and you have to order the supplies online. If you are interested I can give you the links to the sites I use to order materials. Goodwinds.com is the one I use for cores.

If you want to add me on facebook my name is Kevin DeJaynes. Just send me a friend request. Use the account that I have posted on the Chronicles face book page to send a friend request.  I will be happy to answer any questions you that I can or at least point you in the right direction to find an answer.

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:52:13 AM »
I prefer the hand made ultra lite models to the latex models. Do not buy calimacil weapons.

When buying Latex weapons pay attention to length of what you are buying. Many are much shorter than the max length we allow. Also be aware of excess pointy bits and weapon trapping qualities. We do not allow either. Once you get your latex weapon, beat on the back of a couch or something for a bit to soften the striking surface foam.

Latex Vendors
http://www.larping.org
http://www.larpcanada.com
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/

To Make Ultra Lites
(.505 fiber glass rod)
(black sail repair tape)
(Butt Caps)
(Thrusting Tip foam) Any open cell foam will do.
(foam for .505 fiber tube) The 1/4 Inside diameter with the 3/4 inch wall. Product 4463k161

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:35:29 AM by derekjones »

Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:31:52 AM »
Who is a good person to contact about making ultralights?

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:34:10 AM »
I had mine made last time by Corey Kump. I do not have a replacement sword maker that I would recommend if you cannot get a hold of Corey.

LanceBradbury

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 01:05:08 AM »
Found this:
http://larphq.com/PolicyInfo/PolicyLatex.htm

It's old but it has guidelines at the bottom.  Are these still correct? And can bows be constructed like this without thrusting tips?

Initial combat rules changes and clarifications for using Latex/Sculpted/Injected foam weapons:
- There is ABSOLUTELY No thrusting while using Latex Weapons.
- All swings must be under 90 degrees and only light contact
- Any person involved unsafely in combat will forfeit the privilege of using these weapons for a duration to be determined by the local chapter
- Weapons should be checked after each fight for damage/breakdown of the foam to be extra safe.
- Role-playing the swinging of an actual heavy sword is highly encouraged.

NERO Latex/Sculpted/Injected Foam Weapon construction guidelines
- All foam on the weapon must be '33' weight or softer foam but no less than '25'.
- Minimum 5/8" foam depth to core on striking surfaces
- Minimum 3/8" foam depth to core on all non-striking surfaces
- Minimum 1 ½" foam depth to core extended past core on both ends of the core
- Weapons can have no sharp edges or points.
- Weapon tips must be rounded off and not brought to sharp points
- Weapon Striking Surface must be rounded off and not brought to sharp points
- Core must have protection on weapon tips to prevent tearing/splitting of the foam
- Core must not rattle or twist inside the foam
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:00:13 AM by LanceBradbury »

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 03:10:18 AM »
That site is badly out of date.

I do not suggest anyone use information from there.

Please use all guidelines found in the NERO Rule book, or on http://www.nerolarponline.com.

In the case of what weapons would pass at check in, this is difficult to answer online as weapons need to be inspected in person. I know it sucks when buying latex to not be certain, but know that most will pass UNLESS it obviously does not have the minimum qualities outlined in the rule book, AND/OR the foam is stiff enough to provide little cushion.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:53:37 AM by derekjones »

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile