Author Topic: August 2016 Teaser  (Read 390 times)

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
August 2016 Teaser
« on: August 10, 2016, 09:13:04 AM »
*This hastily-scrawled message has been written in increasingly-sloppy writing, posted on a message board located in The Pub*

"If you are reading this, then it's probably too late for me and my family...", reads the crumpled parchment, caked with mud and stained with a few crimson droplets on the top-left corner, "I've tried everything from all of the alchemies I've managed to salvage from the nearby alchemy workshop one of the houses has had going for a few months now.  I brought my family here in hopes to live a peaceful life in the woods, gathering my herbs, but now...  I've doomed them all!  My little Daniel, with auburn hair and a smile brighter than the sun, not even seven years old...  Him and his sister only a year older, my beautiful Charray...  More beautiful than a bed of the finest roses!  Even my beloved Evelynn fought with the fury of a badger mother protecting her cubs, was no match!  We fought...  Well...  "Fought" isn't the right word.  We were slaughtered!

What's worse, is that after we were poisoned, beat and stabbed by vines and thorns so menacing, you'd think that they came seeking some sort of vengance for their bretheren that I had been picking to help concoct medicines for those that dared explore this new, hateful world...  What's worse, is that we all woke up!  Blood dripping out of our bodies, slowly being replaced by this vile ichor that closed our gaping wounds, as if the bastard plants wanted us to live!  How horrific that would be!  All too soon, realization set in as my mind began to cloud over with the need to seek out those whom weren't bless tainted by this filthy poison, that they were going to use us, like puppets!  Such a horrific irony, an herbalist in his family being cut down by plants to helplessly get used for whatever wiles they wish (can they even think?)

I tried every herb, from plantain to wolfsbane...  Every infusion, every poultice, every distillation I had, but to no avail...  My own children struggled against me, warding off the aid I so desperately tried to apply to them, forsaking myself in hopes to cure them...  But to no avail.  No sooner than I brought over my final poultice to Daniel, had he kicked me off of him and tore free of the bindings I placed on him to keep him in his bed!  They tore away as I was flung off against the wall!

I know not how much time had passed before I came to, but the fog in my mind helped me realize polluted my thoughts more and more!  My grandfather always told me that I was a stubborn fool that had the will of a bull, which may be why I have remained foolish and ungratef lucid enough to write this...  Fending off this gift invasion for as long as I can!

Please, save my family!  Find a cure, and come to the Greene's home, near the...  What was it...?  Alchemy...  Shop?  My mind is beginning to clear, now!  I can finally see it!  My fate was deserved!  Thank the florune for granting me this gift"

*There is a note scrawled at the bottom of this parchment, clearly someone else's handwriting*

"Adventurers of Illyra, we cannot suffer this any more!  Families are being murdered in droves, and you do nothing to save those of us whom have been putting in the efforts to supply the very noble houses with what they need in order to pay for your training!  You squabble with eachother over trinkets, sticks and bugs to help cast rituals to make light-shows in the sky with colors and chains, and what has it done for those whom just try to survive...?  Death, destruction and doom!

May you find a vine through your chest, and the ichor filling your minds, you greedy bastards!   A pox upon your money-grubbing ways!"

Thanks for nothing!
- Those that have lost everything, while you profit off of it

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
Re: August 2016 Teaser
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
   "Someday, my efforts will be appreciated!", grumbled Jorgan, a human in his early forties, as he carefully measured three droplets of serum into a vial full of filthy, horrid-smelling mixture of human and plant matter, just as he had done hundreds of times before.  Dreams of parades thrown in his honor, with him perched high upon the tallest carriage with a lovely...  No...  TWO lovely ladies draped around him, clamoring for his attention as the crowds cheered his name from all around him for his hard work and genius breakthrough!  He will be a hero, with his name echoing throughout the ages!

"Hah...  I'm sure that you will, friend!  I'm sure you will.", his coworker in the lab chuckled a bit as her elven fingers dexterously mixed together the next carefully-measured mixture of poisons and serums for the next batch of tests, "We'll have to live long enough to see these tests through, first!  Have you heard that the bastard Florune have even overrun the fort near Zoria?  That brings it down to..  Well...  Just us, and the adventurers in the town."

Taken aback by the news, Jorgan almost mis-applies the solution for his next lot before taking a break from applying the rancid yellow liquid from the dropper into the horrid mixtures of death.  "I know...  It's a horrifying thought, isn't it?  Thinking that our lives are now in the hands of a motley crew of adventurers that probably don't even know that you or I exist...", he gives a sigh as his mind wanders back to the parades in his honor, which eventually leads to a seat in the tavern with a bottomless tankard of mead, "Someday, they'll know my name!"

The elf wrinkled her nose as her thoughts of wondering just what her compatriot is assuming would happen to the would-be "Hero" once as her senses were met with a foul scent.  Not that most of the scents in this lab weren't foul, but this was a new type of foul...  Her eyes lit up as adrenaline set in!  Had one of the compounds mixed in and reacted too harshly?  The team had been working into all hours of the morning to help do their part to find a cure for the Florune infection, that she would be lying to herself if she didn't admit that she readily recognized the signs of fatigue in both her partner and herself.  Had she been careless?

The scent wafted up from the other side of the room, and her eyes were immediately drawn to a vial that they had set up a mixture in only an hour prior, flowing over with froth and bubbles as some sort of reaction occurred.  Reflexively, as per her lab safety training, she grabbed a nearby glove made of thick, beaten and battered leather, grabbed the vial, and quite precisely threw it into the receptacle in the far corner meant to contain potentially-volatile effects when a mixture goes south.  Jorgan, all-too-familiar with the protocol, quickly scooted a bit further back from the receptacle, silently cursing to himself that he had gotten careless, and that batch would probably need to be reprocessed, wasting valuable time.

They both waited for what felt like an eternity as they waited for some explosion of some assortment...  With alchemy and brewing, who knows what could happen...?  Eventually, Jorgan made the first move towards the unknown, hoping that whatever had happened has finally finished, and took a wary peek into the receptacle, much like a child peeking into their parents' room to see if they were still awake so that they may venture into the kitchen to sneak a treat.  Lying betwixt bits of broken vial were bits of dead human flesh intertwined with plant bits that seemed to be shriveling and decaying so fast, that in but a few moments, the plant pieces turned to dust!

Dumbstruck by what he had just witnessed, his friend Alara peeked in and gave a loud gasp, even her usual elvish composure was broken for a moment as realization had hit her!  The bumbling human had actually DONE it!  "Jorgan!  You fool!  What mixture was in that vial?!"  The human raced over to the table to check his notes, which had gotten a bit of the substance spilt onto it in the race to remove the potentially-hazardous reaction.  He flipped through pages and thanked every ounce of his luck to find that the notes detailing the batch in question were unmarred by the spill, "Here!  Here it is!  Mixture twenty-seven of batch fifty-four for tonight!  Hoooo boy!  I'll get those wenches and mead just yet!"

Taking stock of the situation, regaining her composure and not even caring what the second half of his response meant, she chided him, "Easy there, Jorgan!  It worked, but this was just on dead human flesh!  We can claim no cure yet!", she could barely contain her own excitement, knowing herself what they had just done.  "There's plenty of work to be done, with more materials needed, since we don't have much left of all of the necessary components to repeat that batch."

Alas, they both knew that this was the biggest breakthrough they, or any of their fellow lab-workers had ever seen, and high hopes were good for morale, so just this once, she indulged her friend, if only a little, "...  Mayhaps that day of yours will be here sooner than you might think, friend."

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
Re: August 2016 Teaser
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 10:11:30 AM »
    The cavern chamber on the Tyrran side of the portal to Elimar is frantic with activity. Lads and Lasses in dull beaten armor rush about, delivering messages and returning to their masters with the replies. The chamber is loud with the shouts of mercenaries, merchants, and military orders being shouted at various groups and passers by. All the while, the Elimar portal swirls menacingly.

Stepping through the portal, you feel the magic of your protective wash away, your vision flashes and your mind reels from the temporal displacement of planar travel. It seems like minutes, but in mere seconds you are standing in the sister chamber to the one on Tyrra, this one located in a similarly deep cave system on Elimar.

Once again your senses are assaulted by the shouts of merchants, mercenaries, and now guards from the Noble Houses of Ilyra. Magical peddlers rush to the new arrivals, seeking to sell spell protectives, scrolls, or potions. The house guards of House Ravenwing attempt to push back the throng of peddlers, warning the street merchants to keep their distance, and allow the passage of the new arrivals into the chamber.

You pass through the arrival chamber, and make your way up through the lit tunnels of the cave system and out into the starry night sky of Elimar.

Ahead of you lies the small outpost of Ilyra, several buildings are scattered around a robust tavern building. In the distance, you can see the iron fences and gates of several large manor houses. In the reddish night sky you can see...

Four large glowing columns of light and energy crackle and pop like thunder from miles away. A blue column emanates from some unseen origin far to the North. A brown column emanates from the West. A yellow column stands in the East. The reddish color of the night sky is the result of the red column of energy that is flowing up from the land just to the West of Ilyra.

The columns appear to be flowing power and energy upward, into the sky where the flow crashes against some unseen barrier in the sky. Within each column, you can see the dark outline of a great chain.

Your study of your surroundings is interrupted by the bellowing of a great war horn. The sound sends the people milling about Ilyra into a panic. Shouts and cries of frustration fill the air as you can make out the warning being shouted from the house guards.

The Florune are attacking again!