Author Topic: September 2016 "Shackles and Chains"  (Read 518 times)

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
September 2016 "Shackles and Chains"
« on: September 09, 2016, 12:20:46 PM »
A short leopard boy stands atop a barrel, clad in his rags that clothe him, he cries out to the amassing crowd, "Scouts dead!  Chaos-creatures surround the pillars of light and suck the life right out of you!"  A single woman breaks off from the crowd in tears as the news of the loss of her husband reached her ears.  Not even in his thirteenth year, the crier-boy shouts to all that can hear, "The Houses have decided against sending further parties to the pillars for investigation, and the Magistrate's new Administrative assistant suggests that all should stay as far away from them as possible!"

"What news do they bring?  Has anything been discovered?", another voice echoes from the crowd in a mix of shock and fear.

"The third group has confirmed that the pillars are protected by life-drinking chaos beasts and their masters, preventing anyone from getting to the chains or the pillars.  Pillars assumed to be elemental in nature, but everything else is still a mystery!", the kit shouted over the growing discussions happening below him as worry set in to the crowd before him, "The Administrative Assistant asks that you stay within the town's borders, and that hunting parties avoid tracking trail anywhere near the pillars!"

"Oh, great!  On top of everything else, now we're to go hungry as well!  Those bloody pillars are all around us!", an elven mother held her child to her, more out of her own fear than to protect her youth.  Several other townsfolk chimed in with their dissent.

"I am sorry, friends!  I only bring the news I'm told!  I wish that I could help you more, other than to say that the adventurers will hopefully be up to the task of ridding us of these harrowing monsters and the chained pillars that seem to have attracted them!"

The crowd eventually dissipated as mumbles and discussions of discontent and rumination were abound.  A father sighed and walked his daughter home as he pondered out loud, "It's like they keep solving their problems by making bigger problems.  Someday, I just hope we can live in peace in this forsaken place..."

derekjones

• Owner
    • View Profile
Re: September 2016 "Shackles and Chains"
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 12:48:55 PM »
"Pheh...  Lookit them all!  With their shiny armor, and their fiery weapons....  They're the ones that started this whole mess!" huffed a clearly-disgruntled lass as she pulled her hood back to keep it from her eyes as she cracked open one of her many tomes as she begrudgingly sat beside a recently-lit fire, having been delayed in her transition from Shadowfall to Elimar as her accompaniment is late, and the magic was already fading as the portal shrunk smaller and smaller as a few adventurers dressed in a motley assortment of garbs, "As if that plane wasn't messed up the way it is, now they've gone and shackled the very elements, allowing some ominous being of darkness take hold of them and is letting them do stars-knows-what to the magics of that realm!"

"And just what are you going to do about it, hedge wizard?  I doubt there's anything in any of those dusty old tomes about that!", a nearby guard spat as he joined the group, now that the daily transitions between the portal have ceased, right on time...  On the seventh bell.  "Some of those people can wield fire and death of the likes you'll never be able to accomplish, lady!  I'll bet that you'll getcher tongue cut out if'n you keep badmouthing them like that when you go through tomorrow!  Besides, they have no need for you anyway!  You're not even sponsored by a house, so ain't nobody gonna give you any support, and if you don't got any gold, ain't none of them are gonna help you get what you want!  It's a wasted trip, miss high-on-her-hor-Mpphh!" the guard was abruptly silenced as the ladymage incanted but a few arcane words and flung the bolt at him in the blink of an eye.

The guard leapt up and instinctually pointed his spear at her, but it would seem that none took the matter as seriously as he, as his surprise and aggressive stance was met with only laughter from his fellow guards, "Heh!  Please tell me that whatever you did to him lasts all night!  Come bedtime, he's like an ember in your ears!" one of them chuckles and gives the silenced man a punch in the side, "C'mon and sit, Jarvis.  Clearly, the lass needs some peace and quiet to read!" he rolled his eyes with his statement, although knowing not to press the issue further, lest he wind up enchanted himself!

"Reports have come in from several arcanists..."  She spoke to nobody in particular, nose still buried in a tome, "That ever since the pillars were revealed, that their channels with the various elemental energies was increased, as if becoming closer to the sources of their elemental power, but not yet close enough.  These chains are causing mayhem with the elements of that world, and whether or not I solve the problem myself, I very much intend to figure out what's going on and documenting everything.  A paper on this will surely get me into the Wizard's Guild back home!"

She closed her book, scribed several notes into a journal beside her before replacing one tome with another, hummed to herself in thought for a few moments, scribed a few more notes and then opened her new book, perusing through the words and runes inscribed on the pages within, "I just hope that my magics aren't affected too much by those blasted chains...  A creature of evil and darkness involved in the ritual that placed the chains there in the first place could do so much damage tapping directly into such immense sources of power!  Let us hope that these adventurers can handle this, and destroy the chains without causing further damage to the pillars they entrap..."

It was going to be a long night as she compared notes and findings recently brought through the portal to her side as she waited for her compatriot to show up, late, as always...