Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Out of Game Posts / Re: Season 3 Event 6 Site Information
« Last post by derekjones on January 19, 2018, 08:45:13 AM »
Hi!

NERO Chronicles will continue to hold events starting this spring! I am working with the Girl Scouts of Central Illinois to nail down a schedule for us. Keep an eye out on these forums for an update, and join us both on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/nerochronicles/ , or on Discord at https://discordapp.com/invite/KayyBaw
Out of Game Posts / Re: Season 3 Event 6 Site Information
« Last post by Poulsen on January 19, 2018, 07:52:50 AM »
Hi Derek, is this going to be open next summer too? A friend highly recommended this place so I'd like to plan things ahead.
Event Teasers! / November 2017 Plot Release
« Last post by derekjones on November 06, 2017, 08:42:57 PM »
The day is long and your mind is weary as you find a quiet place to relax for a few moments. You blink your eyes and find yourself viewing a vast desert of red sand. The vision of a far away land imposes itself in your mind. Movement from a sand traveler catches your attention.

In the chill early morning night air of the Red Desert, a small male Sarr of Isharan (Lynx) origin pulls his woolen cloak even tighter to keep out the breeze. He tugs at the lead of his pony as they traverse the dull red dunes of eastern ancestral home of his people. His large feline eyes can easily see the marking sticking out of the sands ahead of him. The top fifteen feet of the sand worn obelisk stood stark against the deep red of the desert sand. The marker had once been adorned with bright painted colors and symbols of power. Only faint discolorations even hint at the previous importance of the marker, the power of those symbols have long since faded along with the paint.

Once the Isharan reaches the marker he tugs on his pony's lead to stop the beast from advancing further. The Isharan then removes the keffiyeh from his face and spits upon the ground as he reaches into the bundle of supplies that the pony is carrying. The Isharan pulls a leather water skin from its cool storage place beneath the blankets that cover his supplies. Refreshing water dribbles down his chin as he takes smooth pulls from the leather skin.

Nearby, a dust devil swirls and dances as it kicks up free desert flora. The Isharan does not notice the disturbance of a small dune several yards behind him. The brown pony whinnies nervously and pulls at the lead in the Isharan's hand when it notices the sand of the small dune growing into the shape of a scantily clad woman.

The Isharan lowers his water skin and turns toward the disturbance behind him. The woman's skin is well tanned and still slightly covered in patches of the desert sand that refuses to fall away.

"Greetings, Lady Adira." Says the Isharan as he performs a deep bow.

The pony, now sensing real danger, pulls hard at the lead of its halter. The Isharan turns back to the pony and attempts to soothe the animal using assuring sounds and gentle touching.

"His Highness is eager to have your report, Isharan. Were you able to actually be useful for once?" Replies Lady Adira. Disdain for the Isharan can be clearly heard in her tone.

"Yes, My Lady. I have traveled to the West and performed as His Highness has bid. I have answers to his questions and more!" Beams the Isharan.

"Well then, speak Isharan. Prove to me your value, and if I find you satisfying I may bless you with the presence of His Highness." Says Lady Adira.

"My Lady, I have found that there is almost no presence of His Highness' grand works of magic. I have used the diving magic that you have instructed me on and have found few places of power that even resonate the smallest bit of His Highness' power. I have rendered a map of the locations where I had some success. The most powerful of the locations is near a town of adventurers, called Varos.

The land, My Lady, has undergone a recent struggle bearing the hallmarks of a temporal shifting. It was during these shifts that I was able to detect the strongest remnants of His Highness' power. I made haste to investigate the shifts in time. As you know, My Lady, such shifts can be temporary and I feared that I might lose the opportunity to discover more about what has transpired here.

His Highness should know that the enemy is still present in land. They have been vastly depleted in power and number, but they still persist here nonetheless. In fact, several of them have taken on students in order to preserve their knowledge, though I have only heard of a few instances where the student is properly trained and prepared for His Highness' return.

So far, I have only uncovered four practitioners of the old ways. They are poorly trained and now lack a master to properly instruct them. They will certainly only pose a minor inconvenience for His Highness." The Isharan proclaims.

Lady Adria regards the Isharan carefully. "What are the names of the practitioners?"

"My Lady, I hesitate to speak their names out loud. They are powerful beings in these lands..." Whines the Isharan.

"Your fear is misplaced if you refuse my question." Admonishes Lady Adira.

"My Lady, the names are Selesthiel Sith Vernaril, Erren D'Tangiers, Beloc Kas'Duum, and Talmoc Umaris. The master is the enemy named Felistrahn, but that one is lost and beyond my ability to divine a location." The Isharan lowers his head at his failure to find the last master of the practitioners before continuing.

The forests of the Moth'Hadar and the Siol Lear that His Highness has requested that I research were lost during His Highness' last communication in the Terran Valley. The Moth'Hadar were driven mad and corrupted by Selesthiel, but not before they were able to aid the Dark Folk in destroying the Siol Lear and cursing their beloved Gaia and Selene.  The Moth'Hadar became known as the Selesthiel forest in honor of the 'Hero', Selesthiel and the Siol Lear is now known as the Old Southwood. Presumably because the people that had claimed to remove the original curse had failed to do so and wanted to hide that fact by removing all ties to the Siol Lear. Both of the forests were affected by the recent temporal flux which bridged the time between the fall of the forests and the forests as they are known today. The people of the Terran Valley are confused and easily manipulated regarding the forests and His Highness' last communication. It seems as if the last communication from His Highness is misinterpreted as some sort of war for spirits. His Highness will be very pleased, yes?" Asks the Isharan.

"His Highness will, no doubt, be pleased to learn that the adventurers of Varos have essentially ignored the plight of Azmodeus and of the graveyards that he protects. I have already put into place a replacement for the Lord of Death in the case that His Highness decides to put an end to the meddling of Erren D'Tangiers.

I have been unable to discover what happened to The Spell, though my resources have been talking about there being a replacement.  I have not been able to confirm any kind of replacement for The Spell even though I have confirmed that someone has claimed ownership of the Tower of Storms. I would like to reassure His Highness that just because someone has claimed the Tower of Storms it does not mean that they are prepared to assume the role of The Spell." Says the Isharan.

"Yes, you idiot. His Highness is very aware of that. Is that all?" Asks Lady Adira.

"No, My Lady. You see, some of the corrupted Moth'Hadarians have returned from exile and have been in an ongoing conflict with the people of the Terren Valley for several decades now. The Valley has also recently been invaded by a very young Dark Folk that has taken an interest in the Siol Lear. A few of the adventurers in the town of Varos have decided to try their hand at Mantles of Power. This has drawn the ire of the planar beings, as you can imagine.

His Highness, and the others have largely gone unnoticed." Says the Isharan.

Lady Adira suddenly cocks her head to the side as if straining to listen to a faint sound in a vast sandstorm. "Shush!" She commands. The Isharan falls silent immediately.

Slowly the sands of the Red Desert change colors from the blood red that gives the desert its name to a ghoulish glowing green color. In seconds, both the Isharan and the sand sorceress are surrounded by miles of the glowing sand.

The sand sorceress slowly turns her face in your direction. She blinks slowly and when her eyes open, they glow with a sickly yellow hue. "Issh attak wit zeran!" whispers Lady Adira. Suddenly your vision turns dark.

It takes you several hours to wash the gritty green sand from your eyes. The color of the sand is almost as disturbing as how it ended up clouding your sight. As you wipe away the glowing grit, your thoughts keep returning to the scene that you have witnessed.
Event Teasers! / Re: Season 3 Event 6
« Last post by derekjones on October 25, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
Along the Southern edge of the Terran Valley lies the ancient Southwood Forest. For nearly three decades, the Southwood has suffered under a vile curse that has rendered the once lush and beautiful forest into a dark and deadly home of monstrous beasts.

The Southwood knows all too well the feeling of pain and blood flowing within its borders. The old legends tell the tale of the first destruction of the magical forest during the era known as The Spirit Wars. It was not until the Green Coven arrived in the Terran Valley to cleanse and nurture the remains of the forest that the Southwood recovered. Even then, a dark secret remained within the forest, evil does not release its grip easily.

Then suddenly, the Dark Ones returned to the Terran Valley. Like a great plague, the corrupted people from the Terran Valley's past flooded the valley and once again set upon the Southwood. Within days the Green Coven were forced to flee the ancient forest for the safety of their Western homeland, the Thistlewood.

The evil secreted within the Southwood was awakened and released by the Dark Ones. The curse that had been thought to be broken flourished once again over the forest, it mutated the flora and fauna into murderous forms. The monstrously cursed forms now mock the previous beauty and purity that the Green Coven worked so long and hard to achieve.

Along with the mutation of the forest, creatures of violence and rage have returned to the Southwood. The part man and part animal hybrids known as The Children of the Moon, Therianthropes, or Were-creatures once again stalk the dark trails and twisted groves of the Southwood. It has been centuries since sightings of such creatures have been attributed to the forest. Wild and mad, the Therianthropes have been part of the old tales from before the Green Coven came to the Southwood. What have the Dark Ones done in order to pull the feral from the nightmare? Will the Green Coven return to fight for the Southwood, and if they do, who will join them?
Out of Game Posts / Season 3 Event 6 Site Information
« Last post by derekjones on October 25, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »
FACILITIES
Main Lodge was built in 1941 and was renovated in 2007. It is used to host program events throughout the year. Main has a flush toilet, fireplace, full kitchen, electric, heat and a parking area. Picnic tables, a deck and a fire circle are available outdoors. Two levels comprise Main. The loft sleeps 25 on mattresses and the main level is used for activities. Tables and chairs are available for dining and activities.

Locust Lodge is available for troop camping and offers bunkhouse style camping. Renovated in 2007, the lodge accommodates 20 people sleeping on bunk beds. A full kitchen, indoor flush toilets, one shower, heat and electricity are available. Users will also find an outdoor fireplace and seating area.

Evergreen Lodge is used as the dining hall during summer camp and is available for groups from April 15th to October 15th. The facility will hold 25 people for sleeping on mattresses. Tables and chairs are available for dining. The lodge has electricity, heat and a seasonal showerhouse is located next door with indoor flush toilets and showers. Commercial kitchen facilities are located within Evergreen but the use of these facilities requires a certified food supervisor. Outside the front door you’ll find a large covered pavilion for activities.

PARKING
You may drive one car only to your building/unit to unload and then immediately move your car back to the parking area. Please stay on roadway. DO NOT drive on grassy or wood chipped areas.

CAMP FIRES
DO NOT leave a fire unattended at any time. All children must be supervised while fire is being used. Firewood carried or brought in is PROHIBITED due to the Emerald Ash Borer and our proximity to the Forest Preserve. Firewood is stocked in each unit and in the lodge. Please come prepared with fire starting supplies. Camp fires must be contained within fire circles and fireplaces. Ensure all fire embers are put out.

219 S Lake of the Woods Rd, Mahomet, IL 61853
Out of Game Posts / Halloween 2017 Undead Descriptions for the Costume Contest!
« Last post by derekjones on October 23, 2017, 09:36:58 AM »
Lich - The Lich is a necromancer that has finally succumbed to the force that they sought to master in life. The Lich is considered the master of undead, and is known for using their significant powers continue their plans from before their demise, even if it means killing the misguided living in the process . Rotted Figure, spell runes on skin, glowing green eyes. Possible glowing crown.

Mummy - Revered in life, this person was ritually prepared to return from death to continue to lead their followers. Wrapped figure in tattered shroud/bandages, Ancient Symbol on necklace/chest, Yellow glowing eyes.

Vampire - Hunter of the living the vampire is a leech that seeks out the life force within the blood. Pale race, pointed teeth. Possibly no hair, possibly red (not glowing) eyes. Modern take on vampire, or Nosferatu possible.

Death Knight - A failed former knight, often disgraced and called oath breakers. The Death Knight has return to a cursed and pained existence. Armored figure, tattered and broken. Red glowing eyes. Possible tattered standard, glowing sword/weaponry. Possible accompanying undead mount.

Grave Lord - The most powerful zombie in the grave yard, the Grave Lord marshals his zombie horde to spread the curse of undeath. Filthy rotted corpse like figure with spell like runes on skin. Possible glowing crown on head. Glowing red eyes.

Spectre - Killed in the midst of a violent act of passion, the Spectre returns with a hatred from their past and takes out their fury upon the living. Wispy, possibly glowing figure, light green as a color. Red glowing eyes. Anger lines. Signs of a violent death.

Cursed Child of the Moon - A once noble were-creature that fell while battling the cursed creatures of the Southwood, the beast is now itself cursed to devour the spirits of the living. Appearance should be of a type of were-creature approved by plot. The beast should be bloody and show oozing wounds that do not heal. The beast will also possess red glowing eyes. Possible broken restraints.

Ghost - The victim of a violent and unexpected end, the Ghost returns to pursue an unfinished task. Believing that the living are unwilling to help end the anguish of undeath, the Ghost seeks to make the living suffer as it does. Wispy, possibly glowing figure, white as a color. No glowing eyes. Signs of a sudden death.

Ghast - The Ghast is the returned form of the lost souls of the swamps and marshes of the valley. Suffering from an insatiable hunger, and possessing the rank rot of the watery grave, the Ghast seeks warm life essence to sate its hunger. Pale rotted skin with mold and fungus patches. Pus and oozing wounds.

Ghoul - Much like the Ghast, the Ghoul is the returned bodies of the lost explorers of the Avalon's Crown mountains. The Ghoul has suffered a painful end by hunger and that feeling continues to affect them beyond death. Pale and rotted skin looking hungry with recent meals on clothes and face.

Skeleton Lord - Once a great warrior king, the Skeleton Lord now walks Tyrra seeking to rebuild the lost glory of their past. They are haunted by memories of their lost glory and will not stop seeking to bring the living into their domain. Skeletal makeup with spell like runes on bones and yellow glowing eyes.

Wight - Once a renown member of a powerful family, or noble house, the Wight was charged with protecting the barrows of their ancient kin. These Wights have failed in their charge and have been cursed to walk Tyrra in shame and pain until they take enough lives to redeem their families. Pale skin with battle wounds. Clothing bears the symbol of family or house. Broken chains may be added.

Wraith - Wraiths are the remains of evil deeds done in back alleys and dark cellars. The Wraith has been prevented from moving on from their cursed death until they have created enough wraiths to satisfy the Lords of Chaos. Wispy black figure with red glowing eyes, white anger lines. Possible large black cloak.

Corrupted Treant - Once a proud defender of the forest, the Corrupted Treant has succumbed to the madness against the living civilizations of Tyrra and has bargained their spirit to the magic of the Wild for additional power in order to remove those civilizations. Leaves and branches, black flowers and black bark like makeup. Possibly oozing red sap.

Macabre - The creation of a disturbed mind, the Macabre is the amalgamation of several body parts from the left overs of the executed villains of society. The free minded Macabre has killed their creator and found that murder of the innocent is far more satisfying. A mixture of body parts and visible suture lines and scars. Possibly oozing goo from stitches.

Harlequin - The Harlequin was a performer in life that already possessed the odd bent toward the grotesque and horrifying. The Harlequin often shocked and drove their audiences to riots before being forced to leaving the area. Eventually, the timing is off and the Harlequin met its end in a violent way. Possibly burned, hanged, or beaten by mob justice. Bright clothes of a performer and tools of their previous trade.

Revenant - Once an innocent member of society that has been continuously berated and bullied to the point that their death was caused by the actions of a psychotic society. The Revenant has returned from the grave to enact vengeance on the living for the wrongs perpetrated on them at their death. A pale skinned avenging spirit taken form. They have anger lines and possibly names or markings on them to track their vengeance kills.

Banshee - The Banshee is an elven maiden that has suffered immeasurable loss and anguish. Lost in the depth of a staggering depression, the Banshee has taken their own life and has returned to bring the living with them to join their suffering. A wispy female elven spirit with light blue or white as their color. They have black sunken eyes that make them look like they are forever mourning a severe loss. Black lips and possibly a glowing mouth.
Out of Game Posts / Halloween Event 2017
« Last post by derekjones on October 19, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
This event will be held at Camp Kiwanis, in Mahomet Illinois

219 S Lake of the Woods Rd, Mahomet, IL 61853

Special Rules

Event Teasers

Event Teasers! / Season 3 Event 6
« Last post by derekjones on October 17, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »
Near the town of Varos, there exists an ancient relic from the past. It is a massive structure, mostly underground, etched with arcane runes of warding, death, and chaos. It is known to many as The Mausoleum, for the only part of the structure visible from above ground resembles a rather large family crypt.

Since the return of the adventurers to the Terran Valley, a guard has been posted at the doors of The Mausoleum. This guardian is not one of the Varos Legion, nor is she one of the King's Golden Dragoons, this Knight is from The Mausoleum itself. Her armor is blackened and torn, rent in battles long forgotten. Her tabard is too faded and worn to determine her lineage. Her blade is jagged and massive, black blood clings like tar and seems to ooze from the dark metal itself. She stands in silent vigil in front of the warded doors of The Mausoleum.

As the hour passes Midnight, a golden glow surrounds both the Knight and The Mausoleum. The glow fades into tiny specs of magic that slowly dissipate into the brisk night air.

Since the new Master claimed the throne, a guard has been posted at the doors of The Mausoleum. This guardian is not one of the Hartsbury Vanguard, nor is he one of the King's Black Talons, this Knight is from The Mausoleum itself. His armor is blackened and torn, rent in battles long forgotten. His tabard is too faded and worn to determine his lineage. His shield is coated in the old blood of fallen foes, black tendrils cling like tar oozing from the dark metal itself. He stands in silent vigil barring access to the warded doors of The Mausoleum.

The sealed doors of The Mausoleum break ajar and open slowly, allowing the twisted form of the Master of The Mausoleum to pass. The Master's body is wrapped in tightly bound rags, yellow and green stains of putrescence betray the rotting flesh underneath. A black death shroud covers most of the bony protrusions from the shoulders and the ribs. The Master moves to stand next to the vigilant Knight, the chill air of death and fear that surrounds the Master at all times does not affect the Death Knight. The Knight barely seems to acknowledge the Arch Lich at all.

The Master raises his head, putrefying flesh and all, at the sound of a horse approaching from the night darkened road. The rider and steed are quite dead; large wounds in their sides allow various organs to hang limply and jostle about as the horse gallops towards The Mausoleum. As the rider approaches closer to the Master, she brings her steed to a stop and salutes both the guardian and the Master. The Arch Lich waves to the undead rider and bids her closer so that she can clearly hear his instructions.

"Inform D'Tangier that I have secured The Mausoleum as planned. We will meet where The Green was slain to discuss how we should react to the revolt started by Selesthiel. I will need D'Tangier to convince the Siol Lear to accept my assistance in their war. The Siol Lear will not stand my presence for long I'm afraid. It is important that we meet to discuss more pressing matters as well." The Master calls out to the undead rider. "Tell him that I have finished the ritual, the adventurers have been empowered as well as I can manage."

The rider nods her head and replies "Yes, Master Talmoc." She then pulls hard on the old leather reins. The horse bellows a gurgled neigh and turns abruptly to speed off into the darkness of the night road.

The Master turns to the guardian and regards him with a single glowing green eye. "No visitors for now, I have to sort out their spirit bottles." The Master chuckles with a grating laugh and chokes a bit on the harshness of the sound. He was still not sure that the sacrifice was worth it.
Out of Game Posts / Re: Season 3 Event 6 Special Rules
« Last post by derekjones on October 17, 2017, 03:03:41 PM »
Wizard's Lock
Level 8 Celestial Spell
Duration 5 Days

This spell functions similar to the spell Ward with the following exceptions:
Wizard's Lock is instantaneous to cast.
Wizard's Lock is removed by Dispel Magic.
Out of Game Posts / Re: Season 3 Event 6 Special Rules
« Last post by derekjones on October 17, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
Magic Key
Level 4 Celestial Spell
Duration Instant

This spell will instantly open any normal mechanical lock that could be picked by someone with the skill Pick Locks. Barriers and door jams are unaffected by this spell.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10